2014-01-26

Reflection | 10 Things to Learn From IBDP SEM 1 in Taylor's College Sri Hartamas

Okay, since I'm an International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme student, I should be able to learn to reflect what I have done, what I have achieved, what can I improve from time to time.
*IB learner profile HEHEH*

I believe great things will happen and what lies ahead must be...paradise!

Times flies and I finally completed my semester 1 of IB in TCSH. So, what I have done?
Well, I think I had done A LOT. I joined singing club, swimming club, runner club, year end ball committee, aviation club, toastmaster club, drawing club, photography club and I even created/founded my own club in TCSH - Chinese Club. It have been a craze craze 5 months for me attending those endless meetings, chasing behind those hectic schedules and catching up with my studies.

ACHIEVEMENT - ECA ACTIVITIES
Lovely Chinese Club members

So, what had I done? I finished my 150 CAS hours within 1 semester, when some of my other IB friends still get no hour. That is one of my biggest achievement in my Semester 1 IB. One of the highlight of this semester is being the Year End Ball 2013 committee, that is one of the most wonderful thing that happen in my life. The sense of belonging in a group/one big family, and the feeling you got when all your hard work pays off are just simply amazing. Besides, my Chinese Club was operating quite okay, it just that since it was a baby club not many people know about this club and it seemed more like a IB CAS activity. (However this year 2014 is gonna be a great opportunity to recruit more members!) I had been quite active in the runner club in the beginning of the semester but gradually became inactive :/ because of the frantic timetable and incessant meetings.

THING #01 TO LEARN - TIME MANAGEMENT

Time management has always been an issue for me. I find it difficult for me to allocate time for my works. For example, if I predicted myself to finish a chemistry report for 1 hour, I will be ending up finish the report after 3 hours. That's why from now onwards, I will grab every single second in the college to do my homework and my revision so that when I come back to my apartment I can focus more on reviewing the lessons that I had learnt that day instead of doing homework. Sometimes, I feel tired (almost all the time) since I am a 67% introvert and spending my time communicating with people is exhausting, I tend to spend wayyyy too much time to recover my energy back before I could do anything, which is kind of time consuming.

THING #02 TO LEARN - SHARE THE LOAD WITH OTHERS



MUN Conference 2013

I admit that being a typical INFJ (check out MBTI personality test) and 4w3, I am an individualist, achiever, dreamer and a perfectionist. I always set super duper high expectations for myself and force myself to reach my satisfied level, especially when it comes to things that I am passionate about, like designing posters, creating videos and all sort of stuffs that requires creativity. I just HATE it when people just rush the work and pass it to me without feeling a slight of guiltiness. That's why sometimes I just redo-ing the whole work or perfectionise it, which consumes a lot of my time also. Seriously, I need to learn how to share the workload and tolerate the imperfection, or else there is no time for me to study and revise. After all, academic achievement is the most important aspect in my college life.

THING #03 TO LEARN - SMILE MORE IN COLLEGE/ANYWHERE

I had never REALLY realise that I was wearing a sad face all the time until a random guy told me about that. So the conversation goes like:
(I was in Hartamas shopping centre to buy a cup of MBG fruit juice for myself. Then a random guy came up to me.)
Guy: Are you Taylor's College Sri Hartamas student?
Me : Yeah.
Guy: I am from Taylor's University attending a teachers' conference/meeting in TCSH. I am a psychology lecturer. Why do you look so sad, is there anything that was bothering you?
Me: Errrmm...nope?
Yeah, so I realize how unhappy I look even in front of a stranger. I don't really remember if there is anything that makes me sad at the meantime but I guess I am just NOT HAPPY all the time. I feel like there is something like a steel wall that prevent me from getting the warmth of happiness. I think I should be happy but I am just...sad. Maybe I think too much and I rarely tell other people what I think. Introvert personality urghhhh.

THING #04 TO LEARN - BE DOWN-TO-EARTH AND HUMBLE

Sometimes, I gotta admit that being a scholar might make me think that I should be cleverer than who who who. But I forget the fact that scholars are not perfectly smart or genius. It requires a lot of hard work to get the scholarship and if I wanna keep learning new stuffs, I have to ask other people's help. Be humble and not ashamed of asking people's enlightenment.

THING #05 TO LEARN - STUDY SKILLS

I have a friend who is currently studying International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme in Hwa Chong International School. He joined the programme on April which is started on January. As you can see he have a hella lots of things to catch up and might a bit behind compared to the other super competitive Singaporean IB students. But no, he is the top student among his batch. His secrets?

  1. Pay attention in class (I seriously need to work on this)
  2. Always think the question "why?"
  3. Don't study for the sake of study, study because you want to learn new stuffs
  4. Don't believe what you have studied, always questioning
  5. Be overprepared (I can relate to this)
  6. Do more practises
  7. Pre-read everything before teacher teaches
  8. Stay humble

THING #06 TO LEARN - EAT HEALTHY

Less subway, more fruit juices
say no to cheese tarts

When I was in Sibu my facial skin is super smooth and acne proof, maybe because the food I ate in Sibu is much more healthier than the food I ate in KL. I don't know how to control my diet, I eat the whole plate of meal all by myself because I don't feel like wasting the food after paying for so much. This year, I need to eat more healthier food and less oily, fat and fried food. I don't want those terrifying acnes to resurface on my face again.

THING #07 TO LEARN - FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT

I had spent too much of money in KL Sri Hartamas. I think one of the reason why is the living cost in Sri Hartamas is just way too high. Besides if you want to have some healthier, more variety of food you need to pay that extra few bucks. And sometimes Starbucks is just too hard to resist. :P So this year I was planning to stick to this 52 weeks financial challenge.

 nail polishes and Starbucks will definitely burn a hole in your pocket

If you are interested in this challenge click >>THIS<<






THING #08 TO LEARN - STRESS MANAGEMENT

I was quite bad in stress management. I keep everything to myself and sometimes I just cry alone in the dark corner. I had tried to share my feelings and emotions to someone but it ended up me being regretted telling him/her about my insecurity. I just don't want people to see the sad me, the desperated me, the moody me, even though I did a very bad job hiding all of my emotions. I was being catogerized as a super stressed up

THING #09 TO LEARN - EXERCISE AND KEEP FIT

Daryl, Ivanna and I -- best running buddies ever!

I was quite active in the runner club on September but gradually inactive as time passes. And, I became fatter and not as confidence as before. I ended up wearing my prom dress in my fat body. *CRIESSSS* That is my first prom ever in my life. How could I do this to myself. I should exercise more and make this into a lifestyle instead of a duty.

THING #10 TO LEARN - DO EVERYTHING AHEAD

So being an IBDP student we will have at least one international trip throughout the two years. Ms. Vale, who is our IB CAS teacher is responsible to collect all of our money and a copy of photostated passport. And I totally nonchalant about this until the deadline. I totally forgot that my passport is expired. So there is a lot of things going on like Ms. Vale chasing after me for the passport copy and me asking mum to send my passport to KL so that I can renew it in KL. I don't want this type of stuff to happen anymore in semester 2. I think I leave a very bad impression. :(

This is a confession I found in Tailor's College Confession Page on Facebook.
This inspires me a lot. Whoever wrote this, I salut you.

#6672
"Be sure to really enjoy your 1 to 1 1/2 years of college life. It's the shortest yet the most awesome period in your life. Especially if you are scholars, don't stress on study too much. Everyone in Taylors are here to study. But in Taylors you get to do everything you want!
No matter who you are, put down your ego and don't be a stereotype. Start your everyday with a smile, or fake it (better not) and maintain it throughout your day. You never know who got attracted by that smile of you.
Don't limit your friend zone to the boundary of your classroom, get uncomfortable and join clubs and societies.

Make new friends.
Don't be a lone wolf. You will starve. Yes there are lot of lonely people out there. They either take everyone as offensive or everyone else take them as offensive. Probably they just got diarrhea, broke up with gf etc. Or maybe they are just shy. Screw that! If you see one, make he/she into your pack. Brighten up their day.
Go class trip, celebrate birthday, study groups, lunch together, or even dinner, unite your classmates. Join events, sports or even camping, be part of the community.
No event? Don't wait, take up the role and be an organizer. There's always like minded people that will support you.
You will be amaze that almost everyone here are kind and lovable person.

You don't have to feel proud or lose your self-esteem.
Whether you are boy or girl; smart, not so smart, rich, not so rich, pretty, handsome, or just normal looking; from Selangor, Sarawak, or Japan; a Malay, Indian, Chinese, or maybe lain-lain, people just never really care about these.
Just be you. Destroy that protective barrier around you.
You will always find that everyone are kind enough to help you. And you don't have a reason to not be kind to them.
Taylor's College SJ is not that big, and your life in Taylor's would be very damn short. Make sure you make YOUR short period of time lovable and enjoyable.
In your future, you will be grateful and thankful not for the results you get today, but the awesome and marvelous friends you met today.

You won't want to look back and regret all the things you had not done during your college.
The last thing you want to do when you leave college is,
YOU WANT TO BE PROUD BEING A TAYLORIAN!
"
Lotsa Love,
Dandioy

3 則留言:

匿名 提到...

I heard the aircon is really cold

Abigail Wong 提到...

Hi Anon, THAT is very true - be sure to buy tons of sweaters and hoodies :)

Nikhil J 提到...

hi , can i ask u more in detail about taylors sri hartamas ?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...